Global Upfront Newspapers
Cover News Sports World News

SERIE A teams set to defy Italian govt on re-opening of training, season

Italy’s 20 Serie A clubs on Friday (May 1) reiterated their unanimous desire to complete the season as the northern Emilia-Romagna region became the first to open the way to training despite government restrictions.

An emergency Lega Serie A assembly via video of the top-flight clubs took place after Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora this week said the chances of restarting were “increasingly narrow”.

League president Paolo Dal Pino stated after the meeting “his openness to a dialogue with the government from a constructive and collaborative perspective, obtaining on this position the full agreement of all the clubs.”

Spadafora has warned that the government will call time on the season which has been suspended since March 9 if the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) fails to convince them on its health and safety protocol.

An FIGC meeting slated for May 8 could be decisive.

Meanwhile, the Emilia-Romagna region on Friday gave permission for local clubs, including top-flight sides Bologna, Parma, SPAL and Sassuolo, to resume training in sports centres from May 4 if they wished to do so.

Emilia-Romagna regional president Stefano Bonaccini has agreed to allow “professional sportspeople to train individually, in compliance with social distancing rules and without any gatherings in closed-door structures.”

Southern giants Napoli are also planning to return to training as their safety proposals have received the backing of local authorities.

Friday’s league meeting also addressed the issue of TV rights, but no resolutions were adopted concerning broadcasters Sky, DAZN and IMG, with a final payment estimated at 340 million euros (S$530 million) for the current season, due to be paid in May.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina has said that calling time would be “the death of Italian football”, predicting losses of over 800 million euros in TV rights, sponsors, ticketing and marketing.

If the government did decide to pull the plug on the season it would have the support of a country traumatised by over 28,000 coronavirus deaths.

According to a recent survey, two out of three Italians would support a stoppage, in particular in the northern epicentre, stronghold of heavyweights Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan and Atalanta.

Advertize With Us

See Also

Man, 55, drowns in well while attempting to rescue sheep in Kano

Global Upfront

Rihanna Gives Birth, Singer And Beau A$AP Rocky ‘Welcomed Their Son LAST WEEK’

Global Upfront

George Floyd to be buried in private ceremony in Houston

Global Upfront

Allegation of Military Attack Against Igbo Communities Misleading, Attempt to Whip Up Sentiments for IPOB/ESN

Global Upfront

Soludo And The Challenge Of Change In Anambra State

Global Upfront

Bandits kill 25, abduct 40 in fresh Niger, Kaduna attacks

Global Upfront

NAF A-29 Super Tucano eliminate notorious ISWAP Commander, Abou-Sufyan, other terrorists in Lake Chad Basin area

Global Upfront

Economist: Nigerian Army globally respected, says characterization as ‘Mighty on paper’ is “deliberate falsehood and noxious narratives”

Global Upfront

Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists’ ambush killed 337 soldiers in Nigeria within 2 years, says Report

Global Upfront

WHO recommends increased investments to avert mental health crisis linked to COVID-19

Global Upfront

This website uses Cookies to improve User experience. We assume this is OK...If not, please opt-out! Accept Read More