Global Upfront Newspapers
Breaking NewsCoverNews

Amnesty International says 10 killed in #ENDSARS protests nationwide, IGP says training of new Police unit starts next week

Global human rights group, Amnesty International, says the Nigeria Police has killed “at least” 10 Nigerians since the eruption of the #ENDSARS protests last week.

Although it is yet to provide any statistics to back up its claim Amnesty International said via its Twitter handle: “So far, Nigerian Police have killed at least 10 people since the start of protests against callous operations of SARS.”

Despite the pronouncement of the scrapping of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS), the EndSARS protests continued on Monday in parts of the country.

The protesters who took to the streets in major cities insisted that the government needed to go beyond the ban, saying the operatives who were alleged to have attacked and in some instances killed innocent Nigerians, be prosecuted.

From all available indications and social media chat boxes, the protests continues on Tuesday.

This is just as Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, announced that the training of a new Police unit to take over from the disbanded Special Anti -Robbery Squad (SARS) will begin next week.

IGP Adamu said when he received popular musician, David Adeleke, aka Davido, in his office at Force Headquarters on Monday that with the scrapping of SARS, there was need to get a new structure to carry out the duties of the defunct Police unit, which is fighting violent crimes.

Adamu assured that the new outfit would be intelligence-driven, properly trained and only act on special occasions that require their attention.

He said the unit will be made up of fresh personnel with a fresh orientation and not officers from the scrapped unit.

Noting that opportunities would be created for members of the public to participate in and make inputs to the formation of the new unit, the IGP said this was the first time the police had decisively taken the decision to dissolve SARS and called for calm as they continue to resolve all the issues.

He said Davido‘s visit to talk about the issue was the best way to deal with the current problem, promising that with the formation of the new unit, corrections would be taken from the experience of SARS.

“We just disbanded SARS yesterday (Sunday), so protesters should calm down and give us time to fix the problem. The general public will be part of the process of getting a new outfit. I’m talking to you, so I will keep talking to many others and get Civil Societies involved and get their input towards the new unit,” Adamu said.

Promising to investigate all cases of brutality and bring perpetrators to book, the IGP said: “The issue of compensation to the families of those affected by SARS’ would be addressed when investigations are concluded. We want justice to be done and justice will be done.”

He said officers of the disbanded outfit would be retrained and given other responsibilities in the Force, but would not be reabsorbed into the new unit.

“We admit the trust gap is wide but we will work to bridge that gap,” he said.

Earlier, Davido called for every officer who is part of SARS to be relieved of their duties and demanded the immediate release of all arrested protesters. He also called for justice for the victims of SARS’ brutality and compensation for their families.

Advertize With Us

See Also

ASUU Strike Suspension: Non-teaching university unions – SSANU, NASU, NAAT – warns of fresh crisis as FG moves to release N40 billion

Global Upfront

Obama criticizes U.S. leadership on COVID-19 response, gives three pieces of advice

Global Upfront

Buhari To Address Forex Supply to Manufacturers For Raw Materials Importation in 2022

Global Upfront

Extinction: There Will Be ‘No UN, Able To Respond’ If Nuclear War Breaks Out, Secretary General Guterres Warns

Global Upfront

U.S. indicts 2 Nigerians in $3.3million house rent scam, suspects risk 137 years in prison

Global Upfront

US: Grandmother, 63, who was raped, beaten, stripped and left for dead outside an empty Detroit church dies 22 days later

Global Upfront

This website uses Cookies to improve User experience. We assume this is OK...If not, please opt-out! Accept Read More