Global Upfront Newspapers
CNN
Breaking News Cover Diaspora/Life Abroad News Uncategorized

U.S. “closely following the Government of Nigeria’s response” to Lekki Toll Gate shootings – State Department tells CNN

The United States (U.S.) State Department on Saturday said they were “closely following the Government of Nigeria’s response” to the events at Lekki Toll Gate shootings.

State Department Spokesperson told the international news network, CNN, that towards this, “we urge that the investigation be thorough, impartial, and appropriately transparent and that perpetrators be held accountable.”

The U.S. indication of interest on the outcome of the investigations on the Lekki Toll Gate incident comes as the Nigerian Army admitted on Saturday that soldiers were given both live and blank bullets when they were deployed to protests at the toll gate on October 20.

Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo, said on Saturday in his testimony to the Lagos Judicial panel of inquiry into the incident that “the soldiers, they were both given both live and blank bullets. In this particular case, we saw that these protests had been infiltrated by some hoodlums.”

“You had peaceful protesters no doubt. But there were also hoodlums who sought to take advantage. That is why they were armed (with) blank bullets in addition to the live (bullets) they were carrying.”

This is the first time the Nigerian army has admitted having live rounds at the Lekki toll gate. The statement by Brigadier General Taiwo contradicts previous statements about the incident including from Taiwo himself who told the judicial panel previously that the soldiers were firing in the air and firing blank ammunition.

In the aftermath of the shooting, the Army had initially denied any involvement and describing reports of the incident as “fake news.” Later it backtracked, saying that soldiers were present but fired their weapons in the air and used blanks, not live rounds.

Saturday’s admission by Nigeria that live rounds were deployed is yet another in a series of constantly changing narratives as to what happened on October 20 at Lekki toll gate, where protesters had gathered to demonstrate against police brutality.

On Thursday, Minister for Information and Culture Lai Mohammed said that the military “fired blank ammunition in the air.” He also dismissed the CNN investigation as “fake news” and “misinformation.”

The admission of the soldiers having live ammunition when they arrived to impose a curfew on the toll gate on the evening of October 20 seems to confirm a key finding of a CNN investigation into the shooting which has been dismissed by the Nigerian government as fabrication.

The CNN investigation had included evidence that bullet casings from the scene matched those used by the Nigerian army when shooting live rounds, according to current and former Nigerian military officials.

Two ballistics experts also confirmed with CNN that the shape of the bullet casings indicate they used live rounds, which contradicts the army’s previous claim they fired blanks.

The CNN said its report was based on testimony from dozens of witnesses, and photos and video obtained and geolocated by the international news network.

The Nigerian Army did not respond to numerous requests for comment prior to the broadcast and publication of CNN’s story.

However, CNN insisted that “verified video footage — using timestamps and data from the video files — shows soldiers who appear to be shooting in the direction of protesters. And accounts from eyewitnesses establish that after the army withdrew, a second round of shooting happened later in the evening, by police, according to witnesses who spoke to CNN.”

The Police would not comment to CNN, but did deny ever shooting at protesters in a tweet.

It painted a picture of how members of the Nigerian Army and the Police shot at the crowd, killing at least one person and wounding dozens more.

Copyright: CNN

Advertize With Us

See Also:

White House says Trump to make announcement about COVID-19 treatment

Global Upfront

S&P Global affirms African Development Bank’s AAA rating, with stable outlook

Global Upfront

Emeritus Pope Benedict, 93, ‘extremely frail’ after visiting dying brother

Global Upfront

Update: Nigeria records 238 new cases of COVID-19, total now 2,170

Global Upfront

Erosion-ravaged Anambra State communities cry out, lament delayed remedial work

Global Upfront

Easter: Obi urges perseverance amid adversity

Global Upfront

IPOB alleges fresh killing of members by Nigerian security operatives

Global Upfront

Military says its airstrikes kills “several” Boko Haram Terrorists, destroy logistics supplies in Northeast Nigeria

Global Upfront

NAFDAC DG says Nigeria to continue clinical trial of Hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of COVID19 patients despite WHO’s suspension

Global Upfront

Jonathan, Uhuru Kenyatta, Maada Bio, others discuss Africa’s post-COVID-19 future in Saturday virtual conference

Global Upfront

This website uses Cookies to improve User experience. We assume this is OK...If not, please opt-out! Accept Read More