There is shock and anger by Nigerians over the unending insecurity as the Kaduna State Government and the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) confirmed a terrorists attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train on Monday night.
Already, sources confirmed the killing of two by the terrorists, scores injured, others abducted and stranded.
The incident happened between Katari and Rijana train stations, en route Kaduna from Abuja.
Kaduna State Government, in a statement by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan, said the military had rescued the Kaduna-bound train passengers trapped by terrorists Monday night.
He said information about the rescue mission was conveyed to it by security operatives.
Aruwan said the government received multiple reports of an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train service around Kateri-Rijana area.
He said that upon receipt of the report, relevant agencies were contacted and personnel were deployed to the area to secure the passengers on board.
According to him, efforts are ongoing to move injured passengers to hospitals for urgent medical attention.
The Commissioner said, Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i, who had been in constant touch with security forces, commended them for their prompt response.
On its part, the NRC, through its Managing Director, Mr Fidet Okhiria, said information concerning the attack was still sketchy, and no concrete information could be given at the moment.
According to him, “we have confirmed the attack, but we cannot give you much information right now.
“From the reports we have gotten, most of the passengers have gone into hiding and the officials on board are yet to give us report of the situation.
“There are reports of gunshots and the train derailed due to the attack.”
One of the passengers on board the ill-fated train said some persons were abducted.
The train had taken off from Abuja around 6pm but derailed after the rail track was bombed between Dutse and Kakau.
Speaking with our correspondent, a passenger said he counted six people with bullet wounds but could not say if they were dead.
“There are six people we have counted with bullet wounds, there maybe more but so far this is what I can confirm. Security agents are trying to get them medical attention,” he said.
“We also learnt that the bandits forced their way into some coaches and have abducted some people.”
Daily Trust cannot independently verify this claim.
Zainab Musa, another passenger, described the attack as shocking.
“Currently we are all lying down flat and Security forces have started converging to drive the terrorists away. We are grateful to be safe and not harmed,” she said over the phone.
Another passenger, Anas Iron Danmusa, said the explosives planted by the terrorists ‘destroyed’ the engine of their train.
He said, “As at 8pm, we were just lying on the seats of the train praying. The gunmen were shooting sporadically around Katari-Rijana area.”