Global Upfront Newspapers
Africa Cover Life News

Mali: UN Demands Access To Site Of Alleged Massacre Of Over 300 Civilians By Malian, Russian Forces

A UN envoy on Thursday demanded access to the Malian village of Moura, site of an alleged massacre last month by local forces and suspected Russian fighters. Advertising

The UN’s peacekeeping mission in Mali, MINUSMA, was able to fly over the site on April 3.

But its envoy for the Sahel nation, El-Ghassim Wane, told the Security Council an “integrated mission” had yet to receive a green light “despite extensive engagement with the national authorities.”

Mali’s army announced on April 1 that it had killed 203 militants in Moura, in central Mali, during an operation in late March.

However, that announcement followed widely shared social media reports of a civilian massacre in the area.

Human Rights Watch also said this week that Malian forces and foreign fighters killed 300 civilians in Moura in late March, in what it called “the worst single atrocity reported in Mali’s decade-long armed conflict.”

Several witnesses and other sources identified the foreign soldiers as Russians to HRW.

Russia has supplied what are officially described as military instructors to Mali, which has been battling a brutal jihadist conflict since 2012. The United States, France, and others, say the instructors are operatives from the Russian private-security firm Wagner.

Wane said he welcomed word from Mali that a military tribunal had opened an investigation into the events in Moura.

However, he added, “it is imperative that the Malian authorities extend the necessary cooperation for MINUSMA to have access to the site of the alleged violations, in line with its mandate.”

On Wednesday, independent UN human rights expert Alioune Tine urged an independent and impartial investigation into the events.

In a statement, he called on the Malian authorities to allow the UN’s MINUSMA force to perform the investigation.

“The findings must be made public and the alleged perpetrators brought to justice,” Tine added.

Swathes of Mali lie outside of government control due to a brutal jihadist conflict that first emerged in 2012, before spreading to neighboring Burkina Faso and Niger.

Thousands of soldiers and civilians have been killed in the conflict, and hundreds of thousands have been forced to flee their homes.

Mali’s under-equipped army has often been accused of committing abuses.

The country’s ruling junta, which seized power in a military coup in 2020, routinely defends the rights record of the armed forces.

(AFP)

Advertize With Us

See Also

Allegation of Military Attack Against Igbo Communities Misleading, Attempt to Whip Up Sentiments for IPOB/ESN

Global Upfront

NNPC dismisses alleged selling off of 48 million stolen barrels of Nigerian crude oil in China, sharing of proceeds

Global Upfront

10 Hours Later, Controller-General Confirm Terrorists Attack On Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, Abuja

Global Upfront

Buhari signs 2021 supplementary bill, says its to address Nigeria’s urgent security and COVID-19 needs

Global Upfront

NDLEA arrests 11,340, convicts 1,111 in 11 months

Global Upfront

Image launderers should leave Prince Uche Secondus alone

Global Upfront

IPOB, Yoruba One Voice express shock, warns FG against deploying Army to quell EndSARS protests

Global Upfront

Nigeria bans over 2,000 citizens, foreigners from traveling over evasion of COVID-19 tests

Global Upfront

Its Sleeping Time: The Best Heart Health Sleeping Positions

Global Upfront

USAID launch $3 million grants to support food security in Nigeria

Global Upfront

This website uses Cookies to improve User experience. We assume this is OK...If not, please opt-out! Accept Read More