- Sistah Space pauses operations over safety fears after royal race row between Ngozi Fulani and Lady Susan Hussey
- Lady Susan stepped down from her role in the wake of the scandal and Ms Fulani said she suffered ‘horrific abuse’ online after she came forward
A charity led by a black domestic abuse campaigner who was repeatedly asked where she ‘really came from’ after being invited to Buckingham Palace has paused operations over safety fears.
Sistah Space, which supports women of African and Caribbean heritage who have been affected by domestic and sexual abuse, was ‘forced to temporarily cease’ many of its operations after Ngozi Fulani spoke out about her treatment by Lady Susan Hussey.
Charity founder Ms Fulani said she suffered ‘horrific abuse’ on social media after the late Queen’s lady in waiting repeatedly challenged her when she said she was British.
In a statement on Instagram on Friday night, Sistah Space said: ‘Unfortunately recent events meant that we were forced to temporarily cease many of our operations to ensure the safety of our service users and our team.
Ms Fulani, who founded the charity, said she had suffered ‘horrific abuse’ on social media after the royal repeatedly challenged her when she said she was British
Lady Susan, 83, resigned from the household and apologised after she repeatedly challenged Ms Fulani when she said she was British at the Queen Consort’s reception highlighting violence against women and girls
‘We are overwhelmed by the amount of support and encouragement and look forward to fully reinstating our services as soon as safely possible.’
Ms Fulani had earlier expressed her shock over her treatment by Lady Susan – Prince William’s godmother and the late Queen’s lady in waiting.
The charity founder said she and her team had received ‘horrific abuse via social media’.
Lady Susan, who had served the late Queen for six decades, repeatedly challenged Ms Fulani when she said she was British at the Queen Consort’s reception highlighting violence against women and girls.
The 83-year-old stepped down from her honorary role ‘with immediate effect’ amid a furious outcry after Ms Fulani revealed the exchange on.
Ms Fulani earlier told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that the royal had also touched her hair during the encounter.
‘I was stood next to two other women – black women – and she (Lady Susan) just made a beeline for me and she took my locks and moved it out of the way so that she could see my name badge,’ the Sistah Space founder said.
‘That’s a no-no. I wouldn’t put my hands in someone’s hair and culturally it’s not appropriate.’
Ms Fulani had added that the comments were down to racism, not Lady Susan’s age.
‘I’ve heard so many suggestions it’s about her age and stuff like that and I think that’s a kind of a disrespect about ageism,’ she said on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.
‘Are we saying that because of your age you can’t be racist or you can’t be inappropriate?
‘If you invite people to an event, as I said, against domestic abuse, and there are people there from different demographics, I don’t see the relevance of whether I’m British or not British. You’re trying to make me unwelcome in my own space.’
Buckingham Palace released a statement condemning the ‘unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments’, adding all staff were ‘being reminded of the diversity and inclusivity policies which they are required to uphold at all times’.
Prince William’s spokesperson said ‘racism has no place in our society. The comments were unacceptable, and it is right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect.’
Daily Mail (UK)