Before the close of campaigns on Thursday March 16, 2023, the Labour Party Governorship Candidate, Hon. Chijoke Edeoga got a huge endorsement from his former colleagues, Progressive former Elected Local Government Chairmen in Enugu state.
The group even advised his other main challengers, Peter Mbah of the PDP, Uche Nnaji of APC and Frank Nweke Jr of APGA to consider withdrawing for Hon. Edeoga whom they noted has more grassroots support and experience.
In the endorsement letter signed by Hon. Dr. Walter Oji Former Executive Chairman, Udi LGA On behalf of other members of the group said that Hon. Edeoga with his local Government chairman experience, plus his legislative and executive credentials at the state and federal level is more equipped for the job than his colleagues. They however recognized the huge potential of his colleagues at the business and diplomatic levels.
The details of the letter read: THE PROGRESSIVE GROUP OF THE ASSOCIATION OF THE ELECTED LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMEN OF NIGERIA, ENUGU STATE CHAPTER 16 /03/2023
ENDORSEMENT OF ENUGU GOVERNORSHIP CANDIDATE.
“We as grass root leaders of the Local Government Areas of Enugu state have critically analyzed the political situation as it affects the March 18th Governorship elections in our dear state and arrived at the following conclusions after a thorough appraisal of all the Governorship candidates:
- Enugu is blessed with great and wonderful candidates, especially in the four leading parties of APC, APGA, LP, and PDP.
- The APC candidate, Uche Nnaji is a business mogul with connections across the nation. It is our wish and advice that he continues in this area and continues to touch lives positively as politics and governance will surely conflict with his business empire.
- APGA candidate, Frank Nweke is a sound technocrat whose potential for international/diplomatic services is high and we advise and wish he toes this line and drop his governorship ambition, especially with the very limited spread and scope of APGA in Enugu state.
- The PDP candidate, Barr Peter Ndubuisi Mbah of the PINNACLE OILGROUP. Enugu and indeed every Wawa man should be very proud of him as our own potential Dangote, Adetola, or Adenuga. We advise that he continues and focuses on this trajectory as governance and his business empire are definitely going to clash and Ndi – Enugu will suffer for it. Also, there are a lot of unanswered questions about the past dealings of this candidate which may constitute an embarrassment to Ndi – Enugu in the future.
- Barr Chijioke Edoga of the Labour party – A lawyer, journalist, and politician – He has governed at the grass root level, as an elected Local Government chairman, as Executive arm of both State and Federal government, and at the Federal parliament as an elected member of the House of Representatives and a son of an iconic educationist.
Through our every investigation and analysis, we found him most appropriate to govern Enugu State with minimal distraction.
We therefore as a group endorse Barr Chijioke Edoga of the Labour Party for the governorship of Enugu State and direct all our teeming supporters and all men of goodwill to vote massively and defend their votes to ensure the victory of Barr Chijioke Edeoga of the Labour Party in the 18th March Governorship elections. We also reviewed some other endorsements by our former leaders and found them wanting as their previous endorsements did Ndi-Enugu no good as they may have been serving their ulterior personal interest.
Long Live Enugu State
Long Live Nigeria
Hon. Dr. Walter Oji
Former Executive Chairman, Udi LGA
On behalf of other members of the group