Global Upfront Newspapers
Cover Education News

JAMB leaves 2020 university cut-off mark at 160, admission process begins August

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has set 160 as the minimum cut-off mark for universities across the country in the 2020 admission session. JAMB also said that the admission process would begin in August.

The cut off mark for the 2019 admission session was 160.

Registrar of JAMB, Professor Ishaq Oloyede, made the announcement on Tuesday after the 20th policy meeting on admissions to tertiary institutions. The cut-off mark for polytechnics was pegged at 120, while that of Colleges of Education remains at 100 and above while no university should charge more than N2,000 per candidate for the post-JAMB rests.

On the admission figures for 2019, Oloyede said that 612,557 candidates were offered admission but 510,957 admission spaces remained unused by the institutions. He added that only 1,157,977 candidates who had the required five credits with English and Mathematics, sat for its Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) last year.

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu in his own comment disclosed that he has directed JAMB and tertiary institutions to proceed with the conduct of their 2020/2021 admissions which will commence in August.

Adamu said; “as major stakeholders, we must jointly come up with reactions that would realign our programmes to these new realities.

“JAMB and tertiary institutions could take advantage of the current situation, consider candidates with previous years ssce and other qualifying results, to proceed on with the admission process.

“Whatever arrangement that the country comes up with in the long run will surely accommodate those who will be taking the examination when the opportunity to do so is worked out.”

Meanwhile, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said that the 2020 admissions process would commence by August 2020.

The exam board said due to the outbreak of coronavirus, dates for the deadline have not been fixed.

JAMB’s Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, who made this known during a presentation of the policy considerations at the 2020 Policy Meeting on Admissions to Tertiary Institutions on Tuesday said all institutions, must not charge more than N2000 for their post UTME exams.

”Following the country’s uncertainty in the events of the pandemic, a date for the deadline has not been decided yet but would be communicated later by the Ministry of Education. All institutions must not charge more than N2000, including bank charges, for their post UTME,” Oloyede said.

He said that waivers have been approved for foreign candidates, the deaf and blind as well as prison candidates against sitting for post UTME screening.

”This, was because of the difficulty in the process as complained by the group,”

Advertize With Us

See Also

Buhari Nominates Media Aide Lauretta Onochie As NDDC Chairman, Unveils New Naira Notes

Global Upfront

Africa’s outlook is positive,’ African Development Bank tells Indian investors and officials

Global Upfront

Terrorist groups in Afghanistan could launch international strikes within six months, U.S. officials warn

Global Upfront

FG begins clampdown on EndSARS promoters, freezes bank accounts

Global Upfront

New stress test level makes it harder to qualify for a mortgage in Canada

Global Upfront

New Research Shows Masks and Ventilation Stop COVID Spread Better Than Social Distancing

Global Upfront

4 more COVID-19 patients discharged in Lagos

Global Upfront

Nigeria: NDLEA Intercepts 649,300 Tramadol Capsules, 809,850 Euros Consignments From Pakistan, Austria, Italy at Lagos Airport

Global Upfront

U.S. indicts 2 Nigerians in $3.3million house rent scam, suspects risk 137 years in prison

Global Upfront

Extinction: There Will Be ‘No UN, Able To Respond’ If Nuclear War Breaks Out, Secretary General Guterres Warns

Global Upfront

This website uses Cookies to improve User experience. We assume this is OK...If not, please opt-out! Accept Read More