Global Upfront Newspapers
AfricaCoverFeaturesNewsPolitics

Mozambique Bans Protests After Weeks Of Post-poll Violence

Mozambique’s government has banned protests following sustained post-election unrest that has left several people dead and dozens others injured.

ZoomXtics Ad

It follows last month’s disputed presidential election, won by Frelimo, the party which has governed Mozambique since 1975.

The weeks-long protests have led to violent clashes with the police and at least 18 people have been killed, according to Human Rights Watch.

Interior Minister Pascoal Ronda has urged Mozambicans to co-operate with the authorities to stop the protests, terming them “acts of terrorism”.

Demonstrations started at the end last month in the capital, Maputo, after Daniel Chapo, the Frelimo candidate, was officially declared the winner with more than 71% of the vote.

Opposition leader Venâncio Mondlane, who came second with 20% of the vote, went into hiding before the results were announced.

He cited fears for his safety after his aide and lawyer were killed as they were preparing to challenge the results.

Last week, soldiers were deployed to help keep order during Thursday’s post-election protests, the biggest since the unrest started on 9 October.

Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse thousands of protesters who lit fires and barricaded roads in Maputo.

Ronda has said that the protests have now been “forbidden” because of their “severity”.

“I no longer call these protests, I call them acts of subversion and terrorism because they terrorise people and children. That woman selling bananas can no longer sell them. People can’t go to work; this is terror,” said Ronda.

The interior minister accused protest organisers of using “drugged” youth to “destabilise” the country, saying their plans would not succeed, as “crime will be fought”.

Some rights groups have put the death toll at more than 30 overall.

A South African TV station has said two of its journalists who were covering the unrest in Maputo have been detained in unclear circumstances.

News Central TV in a statement said attempts to establish communication with the journalists have been unsuccessful since their arrest.

“The detention of our colleagues while performing their professional duties is deeply concerning,” it said, adding that “we are working through all available diplomatic and official channels to secure their immediate release.”

The authorities have restricted access to internet across the country in what Human Rights Watch said was an attempt to “suppress peaceful protests and public criticism of the government”.

Opposition groups and observers argued that last month’s elections were unfair and rigged, a claim that the government deny.

Current President Filipe Nyusi is stepping down after serving the two terms allowed under the constitution.

@BBC News

Advertize With Us

See Also

“Unpatriotic Nigerians” plotting to destroy Buhari’s govt will be brought “to book,” says APC

Global Upfront

America Withdrew, Jilli And Monguno Happened. What Did They Know?

Global Upfront

COVID-19: 997 Americans evacuated from Nigeria

Global Upfront

FG bows to #ENDSARS protesters’ demands

Global Upfront

Muhammadu Buhari’s Farewell Speech As President And Commander-in-Chief Of Armed Forces Of Federal Republic Of Nigeria 

Global Upfront

Scientists link vitamin D deficiencies to higher COVID-19 mortality rates

Global Upfront

This website uses Cookies to improve User experience. We assume this is OK...If not, please opt-out! Accept Read More