- US sets Iran five conditions for continuing peace process — Fars news agency
President Donald Trump has warned Iran “the clock is ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them”, in a post on Truth Social.
“TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” he posted.
Earlier, he posted a picture with the caption: “It was the calm before the storm.”
Reports suggest the US and Israel are undergoing the most intense preparations for renewed attacks against Iran since the ceasefire was agreed last month.
The President and Israel’s PM talked on the phone earlier today, and spoke about Iran, according to an Israeli official.
Meanwhile, Trump is expected to convene a Situation Room meeting with his top national security team on Tuesday to discuss military options against Iran, Axios reported on Sunday, citing two US officials.
According to the report, Trump wants a deal to end the war, but Iran’s rejection of several US demands and its refusal to make significant concessions on its nuclear program have put the military option back on the table.
Iranian state-linked media said Sunday that the US had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran’s proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war.
In response to Iranian demands, Washington has set Tehran five conditions of its own, which the US administration believes are necessary for continuing the peace process between the two countries, the Fars news agency reported.
According to the agency, the US refuses to pay any compensation for damage caused by the bombings of Iranian territory. Washington also insists that 400 kg of enriched uranium must be taken from Iran to the US and only one operating nuclear facility must remain in the Islamic Republic.
The United States does not intend to release more than 25% of Iran’s frozen assets and states that the issue of ending the war on all fronts, [including Lebanon], must be resolved through negotiations, the agency said.
Citing an Israeli official, Axios also reported on Sunday that Trump spoke by phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss Iran.
Trump and Netanyahu discussed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran during the call, Israeli public broadcaster Kan reported.
Earlier on Sunday, Netanyahu said he was scheduled to speak with Trump later in the day.
He added that he expected to hear about Trump’s recent trip to China, while indicating the two leaders would also discuss Iran.
Written with reports from Sky News, TASS and Alarabiya News